Dolphin Research Center
58901 Overseas Highway
Grassy Key, FL 33050
Education – Curriculum Specialist
Dolphin Research Center (DRC) currently has a full-time opening in the Education Department for a Curriculum Specialist. DRC is a not-for-profit education and research facility dedicated to teaching, learning and caring about marine mammals and the environment we share.
The Education department is dedicated to increasing public awareness of marine mammals and conservation incorporating experiential learning opportunities whenever possible to bring people into close contact with dolphins, creating the bonds that encourage students and guests to become ambassadors for marine mammals and the environment we share. Additionally, the department strives to provide a variety of learning opportunities designed to make the learning process fun while meeting the varying needs and interest levels of a wide range of audiences.
The Department is currently focused on expanding its relationship with multiple school systems and looking to further develop an established multi-tiered program that would:
· Create new curriculum for classrooms in using Smart Board technology.
· Provide a variety of distance learning opportunities.
· Encourage on-site classroom visits tied with developed curriculum.
Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
· Responsible for the development, administration and implementation of the program outlined above.
· Work with our Membership & Development department to find and fulfill new grants that would propel the program.
· Responsible for the continued establishment of new presentations curriculum and aligning them and other educational materials and programs with current national and state standards.
· Responsible for the development and coordination of DRC’s annual on-site school event ‘Ocean Celebration Day’ which provides programming for approximately 500 local students and their teachers revolving around ocean stewardship.
· Serve as DRC’s representative at monthly Monroe County’s Environmental Education Council.
Abilities and Skills:
· Demonstrate the ability to positively influence others regarding DRC’s unique educational experiences.
· Possess excellent organizational and planning skills.
· Be a responsible, outgoing, flexible, motivated, self-directed individual who demonstrates excellent “team player” skills.
· Possess good presentation/public speaking ability, be motivational and personable.
· Be excited about DRC and our family of dolphins and sea lions.
· Have a passion to share their excitement and knowledge with others.
· Must have physical agility, being able to take steep steps while climbing on and off our floating docks, being able to assist guests onto and off of our floating docks, and being able to squat and/or crouch.
· Must be able to work in the Florida Keys heat.
· Must maintain good written communication skills.
· Have the desire and ability to work with a variety of people ranging in ages and interests on a regular basis is a must.
· Strong interest in environmental conservation is necessary.
· Must be available to work flexible hours, as work schedules may alter routinely and week-end hours are required.
· Willingness to work long hours and be on call as necessary is important.
· Must have a clean driving record.
· Computer experience is necessary.
· BS/BA in science, education or a related field is required.
· Experience applying for or managing a grant is a plus.
· Prior experience in the following a must:
o Managing programs.
o Developing creative curriculum aligned with state and national standards.
o Working with school systems and teachers.
o Working with Smart Board technology.
o Developing and/or implementing distance learning programs.
DRC currently offers medical benefits, a 401(k) retirement plan, paid vacation, sick, and overtime, as well as personal growth and training opportunities. DRC seeks to provide for the well being of its employees and with our high benefits offers a competitive total package right for our environment.
Send resume and cover letter to Human Resources – 58901 Overseas Hwy, Grassy Key, FL 33050 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dolphin Research Center is an equal opportunity employer
Dolphin Research Center
30 Years of Teaching…Learning…Caring… for Marine Mammals and the Environment We Share