This position is responsible for delivering education programs focused on marine science in Alaska to a variety of audiences, and assisting in the development and maintenance of education projects under the supervision of the Education Coordinator. This position also works closely with the Exhibits and Interpretation teams. Variable hours, including mornings, evenings and weekends as needed. May include national and state-wide travel for professional development and urban/rural outreach.
Education and Experience Requirements: A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a field complementary to the Center’s mission plus experience as an intern, teacher, or interpreter in an aquarium, museum, camp or similar setting preferred – or the equivalent. Experience in curriculum writing and development also preferred.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
1. Delivers educational programs, with a focus on current marine research in Alaska, to on-site or off-site school groups and other audiences. Delivery methods may also include distance learning by videoconference, rural outreach, or public presentations. May assist with project development, including curriculum or online education tools.
2. Assists in scheduling program reservations, maintaining client relationships via phone and email, processing payment, and keeping the reservation data accurate and up-to-date.
3. Maintains education equipment and supplies.
4. Interprets on the exhibit floor, including supervision of public interaction with the touch tank and aviary. Works with exhibits staff and other ASLC staff to construct props and other teaching materials to supplement education programs.
5. As needed, works with the Exhibits team and other ASLC departments to complete new or ongoing projects that fulfill the ASLC’s institutional and educational goals.
6. Maintains an effective working relationship with staff. Must be able to work both independently and as a team member, while handling multiple priorities in an efficient manner.
7. Represents the ASLC by presenting programs and resources at off-site special events, such as festivals, conferences, fundraising events, and teacher training days.
This is a full-time position. ASLC offers a competitive wage (DOE) and benefits package.
Apply by: Close of business 9/2/14 Start Date: 10/4/2014
Send resume & application (downloadable at www.alaskasealife.org) to HR@alaskasealife.org.
All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.