Sailors for the Sea is a leading conservation organization that engages, educates, inspires and activates the sailing and boating community toward healing the ocean. We are a movement and pragmatic voice for action that offers boaters tangible opportunities to create a legacy and make a difference. We are seeking an Education Director for our marine education program called KELP (Kids Environmental Lesson Plans). http://sailorsforthesea.org/programs/kelp
Responsibilities will include:
- Program development, implementation and management
- Travel as required in support of this program
- Help plan and attend quarterly board meetings
- Contribute content to Sailors for the Sea website and monthly e-newsletter
- Support stewardship development efforts
- Coordinate with Social Impact and Sustainability staff as needed
- Meet weekly with President and staff to discuss priorities and progress
- Track and report program usage, challenges, and successes
- Develop educational modules in conjunction with our educational partners for youth sailors and students
- Outreach to museums, academic institutions and other organizations for contributions to curriculum
- Outreach to sailing centers, junior sailing programs, schools, and other youth programs
As a small nonprofit, Sailors for the Sea staff are expected to be flexible in their job and help with responsibilities that may fall outside of their primary role. In addition to program management, the KELP Director will also be expected to help with day-to-day office tasks, such as mailings, filing, interacting with vendors, and collaborating with the Stewardship Director on funding matters as ! applicabl e to programming.
- College degree in environmental policy, science or education
- Knowledge of the sailing and boating communities / Sailing experience
- Ability to travel as required to coastal communities in the U.S.
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Ability to work out of Sailors for the Sea office in Newport, RI
- Ability and willingness to work occasional weekends
- Valid Driver’s License and Passport
- Strong attention to detail and refined organizational skills
- Passion for ocean stewardship
- Experience working with the public and teaching youth
To apply, send a combined cover letter and resume in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resume submission will close November 3, 2014. The candidate must be able to start work on January 5, 2015 in the Newport, RI office. This position offers a full time salary! , health insurance and 401K retirement plan.
Sailors for the Sea is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.